I’m currently just over 3 months post partum and have lost 24 lbs and am sitting only 1% out of my pre-baby body composition (yay for muscle gain!) I’ve lost 4 inches in my waist, 1.5 inches per thigh, and 2 inches in my hips. I’ve been focusing really hard on muscle gain and functional cardio (running and hiking). These changes aren’t huge I guess…but for me, it means I’ve almost restored my pre baby body (just in time to have another right? 😉😂 kidding). Im not there yet, but I know I will be soon 💕
These changes have felt glacial and have come with sacrifices…a lot of sacrifices haha. After being pregnant for 9 months there were definitely things I needed to get in my body…if I’m being candid, it was mostly just alcohol and mac and cheese but I’ve maintained a healthy balance between good and not so good. After that quick purge, I knew it was time to get serious if I wanted to accomplish my goals. A few areas I’ve made sacrifices are…
1. Staying on the move. With a new baby that loves to cuddle it can be hard to put him down but it’s important to take this time to get stuff done and care for yourself. My baby carrier has been my best friend. I walk, he sleeps…its a win win. The more I do, the more energy I have. If he’s fussy, bouncing him with squats works way better than sitting on the couch crying with him because I can’t solve his issue.
2. I reduced my gluten intake drastically. Although living gluten free/no grain carbs isn’t sustainable for me…reducing them is. I cut out bread and baked goods and sub in vegetable noodles for pasta. Ive noticed a HUGE difference in how I look and feel.
3. No beer/wine/hard teas. Okay…Ill have the occasional one but I have subbed in gin and soda and drastically reduced the amount of alcohol.
4. I am committed to working out. I balance weight training and functional cardio to optimize my fat burning and improve my body composition. Unfortunately walking isn’t enough work to really change my body so I have to put the work in. I workout every day but Sunday. Sometimes I get an hour, sometimes 20 minutes…it really doesn’t matter but you have to make it count.
5. No eating past 730pm. Im usually up late so I cut myself off past 730pm unless its a special occassion. This means I have to eat enough throughout the day or I’ll get hungry. If I do a late workout I will drink a small protein shake because…gains haha but be smart about it. Late night snacking is a killer.
That’s all I can think of for now haha at the end of the day, you have to make your own magic…good shit comes to those that work their ass off (in this case literally 😂). If you’re working hard and not seeing changes, its time to mix up your routine or make another sacrifice (sorry not sorry). Balance and sustainability are so important to keep in mind while you’re assessing your situation and sacrifices. Make choices you know are GOOD for your body 💕💕