So if you’ve known me a while you’ll know the ebb and flow between yoga and I. I love love love love it, I love how I feel during, after and down the road. In the past I’ve been pretty balls to the walls about my fitness. I would dive into yoga, or dive into Bikram or fitness. It’s like when you find your new favourite song and only want to listen to that one song. I’m working on my perfect balance. 😊 So, I’ll stay non-bias and factual. Here are 6 different reasons why YOU should practice weekly.
1. It’s a whole body workout! No you can’t add resistance or weight, but yoga uses body weight to build strength. It uses large and small muscles to hold, flow, twist, balance and press.
2. Muscle recovery. Hello…its stretching. YES, it is so many other things, but yoga is designed to strengthen and ‘lengthen’ the muscles using various stretching techniques during your practice. This improves circulation and blood flow through the body. This also increases the oxygen level through the body supporting muscle recovery. When you don’t properly stretch, the muscle fibers can heal closer together, making your muscles appear more compact and bulgier overall.
3. Increased ROM. Having a good range of motion not only improves your capacity for weight lifting, sports etc. but can also positively effect the day to day and prevent injury.
4. Spinal support and pelvic control. So many of us have limited body awareness. Sure we know how far we have to reach for something or not to walk into someone but in my experience, most of us don’t have much control over our body. A lack of pelvic control and poor posture are common issues I see. Not only does yoga strengthen the supporting muscles, it also teaches us proper pelvic tilts and control. This can improve posture for weight training and every day.
5. Calm your mind. I am a non-stop busy body. It’s in my nature and I’ve learned to lean into it. I have learned all of my quieting, meditative and relaxation techniques from my past yoga instructors. Not only is my body getting a treat, so is my mind. Even if it’s just for an hour, this practice gives you a space to be mindful of your body or to just be.
6. Happy Happy Happy! Some studies have shown a regular yoga practice can boost serotonin levels in the body. Plus, being active and treating your body makes you feel GOOD!
In conclusion yoga is the best and everyone should do it. I know it sounds like I’m joking but I’m not 😛 I try to encorporate it in my daily life and I try to make classes. I also try to throw some into active warm ups for my clients.
If 6 reasons is not enough, here are 38 health benefits from Yoga Journal.
If you’re in the Chilliwack area, definitely come check out a class with Amanda, Tuesdays at 7pm. 💕 All levels are welcome so don’t be scared.
You can visit the event page HEEERE!