Ok ok ok….summer is FINALLY here. Waaa-hooo! It’s easy to sub the gym for sunshine, patios and drinks but like always, there’s a happy balance. You have busted your ass all winter and spring to be healthy, please don’t throw your hard work down the drain. We still need to love and care for our bodies during summer.
I am happy to share some of my tricks for staying on track through summer.
1. Plan plan plan. If you haven’t noticed, I am a planner. I plan everything. On Sunday night, I sit down and look at the weather. If the forecast calls for rain or over 30 degrees, I am more than happy to head indoors for a workout. SO I make sure my classes/workouts happen on those days.
2. If you don’t care so much about the weather, plan around your schedule and tendencies. If you know you do not workout at night…don’t bank on a PM workout. Wake up 30 minutes earlier and get it done in the morning. In all honesty, even 15 minute HIIT will serve you through the day giving you a metabolism boost.
3. Find some classes! If you get stuck with a pain in the ass like me….I won’t let you be lazy. I am here for accountability and the odd guilt trip of I know you are cheating yourself 😉
4. Pick active hobbies/activities. Summer is a great time to swim, hike, paddle, or hang in the park playing frisbee or ball. Make your lifestyle active and it will become a habit. It’s easy enough to sneak a couple drinks at the park if you are after some social drinking.
5. Remind yourself why you started. Remind yourself WHY it’s important to eat and drink properly and why you began exercising. If your why doesn’t motivate you, I don’t know…haha.
6. Be happy with where you are, how you look and who you are. Chances are you have come a long way in the last little while. Embrace how much easier it is to hike, workout, drink your water etc. If you know you will be preoccupied, be content maintaining through the summer. This means keeping your consistency and a maintenance fitness plan and maybe allowing a little more balance than normal 😉
7. Set a goal! Whether you sign up for a run, fitness competition or set strength/cardio goals to help keep you moving. Make sure it’s something you’re interested in and is doable on your timeline.
8. Pay in advance for your gym membership, classes, that 5km you’ve always wanted to run and let your potential loss fuel your fire.
I hope some of these ideas help you through the summer. Don’t make it to September feeling guilty and uncomfortable. It sucks and it doesn’t serve anyone. The best you can do is learn to love your body, what it can do and make sure you still give it 100% in all the seasons.