I’ve been searching for fun DIY projects lately and stumbled upon fragrance stones, I had to give it a try. These stones offer an alternative to diffusers, potpourri etc. as they hold and emit fragrance from essential oils. This is also the easiest DIY, anyone can do it. It was also a fun way to get my son involved in the kitchen 🙂
I took the instructions from Hello Glow with a couple modifications from my own trial.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup table salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 30-40 drops essential oils
- Flower petals, grated citrus rind or food coloring (optional)
- Parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, salt and boiling water in a bowl. While the water is hot, use a whisk to combine everything as best you can (it’s going to thicken quickly). When it’s cool enough to touch, use your hands to knead the ingredients into a dough.
- Add the essential oils and optional ingredients (like flower petals) and continue kneading.
- Break off 1 to 2 inch pieces of dough and roll with your hands until it forms a ball. Press the ball slightly until it resembles a stone.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let dry overnight.
- Put several stones in a bowl or stash individual stones wherever you need a boost of fragrance.
I have found these to be a great option for small spaces like the bathroom or conversation spaces like a side table. With little kids in the house, these stones make an awesome alternative to waxes and oils 🙂 I might even try them in my sons room for some lavender oil.
Note** in these photos mine have not dried fully. I ran out of time for camera photos and a full dry time 😂