I’m currently at 26 weeks pregnant, spring has sprung and work is in full force. My to do list seems endless and I’ve been seeking out caffeine free means of boosting my energy to get me through 13 hour days on a crappy nights sleep. On a regular day I’d enjoy an extra coffee or a red bull on ice but that won’t do these days!
1. Start the day moving. I am generally a sucker for enjoying a cup of coffee with the news, a book or some Netflix. This has now changed for me. If I start the day sitting, I end up feeling tired throughout the day. A better use of my morning is my first breakfast and a walk or some tidying up at home.
2. Exercise! I’ve found a good balance between too much and too little when it comes to exercise. A nice walk in the morning does WONDERS to wake me up. I love lifting weights and a 30 minute session is usually the right amount for me on a busy day.
3. Eat before you get hungry. This is a rule for everyone pregnant or not, but holds true when trying to keep your energy going. By feeding your body throughout the day, it is getting all the sustenance it needs for you and baby 👶 Eating smaller snacks and meals throughout the day is also easier for your body to digest so it is spending less energy at once compared to eating a big or heavy meal. That being said, eating healthy is also important.
4. Make sure your vitamin/mineral levels are ok and supplement as needed. I take a prenatal, folate, fish oil and BCAAs to help keep me and baby happy and healthy. I really think the BCAAs help boost my energy a little while assisting in my muscle recovery. Just make sure you check with your health care provider before adding new supplements.
5. Rest. I am not a napper, but on long days I find resting in the afternoon helpful. My sleeps are pretty inconsistent right now but I still can’t sleep during the day. Taking an hour to unwind and lay down on the couch or in bed does wonders. Remember you’re nurturing a human, that’s hard work 💜
As you all know by now, I’m halfway through my baby growing adventure and my heart couldn’t be more full. I have had a WONDERFUL pregnancy so far with minimal symptoms and lots of activity.
My husband works out of town and we’ve been playing the ‘trying, not trying’ game for a while. As you can imagine, the timing is a little tricky when you’re apart half the year, but, this past fall all the stars aligned and we made a baby!
We waited the three months to tell our friends and family and I’m so excited to share this experience 🙂
A bit about me. I am a personal trainer and have always put great importance on my health and wellness. What you put into your body you get out of your body. Treat it like shit, it’s going to return the favour. Our healthy lifestyle makes a healthy pregnancy an easy transition. I’ve managed with minimal morning sickness and no cravings beyond oranges 🍊. Although this transition has been relatively easy for me, I understand the amazing changes my body is going through and am excited to share this with you!
There are minimal resources for pregnant women and new moms in my community and I’m so excited to share what I learn with you! As a part of my continuing education and personal growth, I am SO SO excited to take pre and post natal classes. I am passionate about women’s health and fitness and this is such an important aspect.
Feel free to reach out to me and ask any questions you may have! I’ll be sharing what I learn in my courses as we go. I also hope to share pregnancy safe workouts as well as post natal workouts to help that bod bounce back.
As promised I have put together five of my favourite core exercises. You can run it through once at one set, fifteen reps OR you can lengthen it and do three sets and fifteen reps.
I have uploaded a quick video to YouTube that you can watch HEREto see each exercise in motion. Please ignore my camera presence…I’m working on not getting flustered and forgetting what I’m talking about hah
please, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to comment or ask 🙂
* note: Hillsid Fitness releases itself and staff of any liabilities. It is recommended that you seek a physician before starting a new fitness program or new exercises.
I’ve decided to start partaking in motivation Monday as a place to get organized and jazzed for the week! With winter here daylight hours are short and we are slammed with holiday activities and festivities. It’s the easiest way to forget about our own wellness and fitness.
So, the question is…what will motivate you each week?
A lot of the time, remembering why I care for my body is my best motivation. Sometimes this changes, but being clear on WHY keeps me accountable. Right now my why is to be healthy and balanced. This has changed after getting pregnant. My goal is to be the healthiest home for baby G as possible.
But what does it mean for you? Maybe you’re in the same boat as me, or maybe you have kids and you want to enjoy playing with them more. Or maybe it’s for the jeans hidden in the back of the closet you’d like to wear again. Whatever it may be….make sure you know what’s driving you to care for your body.
so now you know why, what’s going to get you there every workout?
Post your why somewhere visible to remind you
Plan your weeks workouts and post them in your house, or online for accountability
Set out your workout clothes the night before
Connect with others in the same boat
Do activities you love! If you don’t like going to the gym, go running or take on at home program etc.
“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today”
Lastly, the most importantly part, just get moving. Whether it’s 10 minutes or 60 minutes, you have to start somewhere and you have to start at some point. Instead of putting it off another day, just start NOW! You can do it 😊 Don’t cut yourself short.
I don’t know about you but I wake up TIGHT. Our mattress is the equivalent to sleeping on a cloud which is nice to watch movies, but not ideal to sleep. My husband won that battle.
I try to commit at least 5 minutes of my morning to a quick practice and this 8 pose Flow is the trick! with scoliosis, I get great pleasure out of strengthening and lengthening my body, especially my core. During each pose, remember to take a deep breath, sit a little deeper, and act as if a marionetist is tugging on a string at the top of your head 😊
repeat on each side, ensuring you treat L and R equal 😋 And you’re 5 minutes closer to a happier and more energized morning body!!
Today marks day 2 on my 2 week adventure. En route to a labour day wedding I get the privilege of traveling with a dog, cat, husband and friend through Beautiful British Columbia and Alberta.
I’ve decided to take things more personal, and share my life journey over these couple weeks 🙂 I am fortunate enough to have a flexible schedule personal training, and am so excited and lucky to take my work with Beachbody Fitness with me !!
Joining Beachbody took some thinking, but I can’t wait to see how it compliments MY life and my clients lives. This company offers AMAZING programs, workouts and nutritional supplements you can take with you on the go. That means…for those of you who love working with me 😉 but can’t swing a regular one on one, Beachbody offers quality workouts and support and coaching from yours truly, when and wherever you want. (You can even download workouts from the ‘on-demand’ app)..no excuses!
I’m so excited to start this new journey and can’t wait to see the amazing results produced by this addition!