Essential oils are EVERYWHERE these days. It’s a great and a bad thing. The term ‘aromatherapy’ means using essential oils from plants for improving or maintaining health and beauty.
EOs are organic compounds and may react to light, temperature, air and time. They are volatile at room temperature and shouldn’t leave you feeling greasy. It takes them anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours + to penetrate the skin and enter the blood stream. Yes, you ready that right…into your blood stream.
Essential oils are extracted from plants using a variety of methods, usually with distillation or expression. An essential oil has the “essential” aromatic and chemical properties of that plant.
Essential oils are made up of minute molecules that are very easily absorbed. Each oil has a unique chemical composition of terpenes, esters, oxides, alcohols, phenols, ketones, and aldehydes. These components interact with bodily systems, and depending on the essential oil support various systems of the body.
I’ll write more another day about how they work 🙂 For now, let’s chat 5 reasons why you should use them.
1. They’re versatile. No, there isn’t one oil to rule them all…but we can get close. Take an oil like peppermint. Peppermint has 10 properties: analgesic, antiseptic, decongestant, bactericidal, anti-inflammatory and on. This means you can solve a lot of problems with one tiny amber bottle. This also means that you can use them for anything from low energy to chronic pain.
2. They’re natural! Hollaaa, they are from plants. There is a reason the use of essential oils can be dated back around 5000 years. I’d rather start natural and use western medicine if I absolutely must. No point filling my body with shit if I don’t have to 🙂
3. They work to help heal the body and to help relieve symptoms as apposed to masking them.
4. You can skip the chemical dyes and scents. No not all essential oils smell awesome, but some do! The scents of the forest, rose, coffee, amber, citrus, eucalyptus…yum.
5. You can clean with them! If you have dogs and kids that lick everything (hopefully that’s not just my house), natural cleaners are important. Your skin also absorbs everything you put on it, which means every night you do the dishes or clean the bathroom, your skin is lapping up the Vim, lysol or whatever it is you’re using.
Now, like anything there are risks. If you are pregnant, prone to high blood pressure, epilepsy etc. it is important to check with a certified aromatherapist before using.
Different oils and uses require different dilutions. It is important to understand how to dilute your EOs for topical use. Please please use safely. Make sure their properties align.